JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Care Navigator II for the Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative
Position: Care Navigator II
Agency: Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative
Classification: Full Time
Supervisor: Care Navigation Manager, Atlanta/Fulton County PAD
The primary goal of The Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion (PAD) Initiative is to redirect people out of the criminal justice system who would be better served by social services and other community based supports. Specially trained police officers who have probable cause to make an arrest and believe that the offense is primarily due to mental illness, drug and alcohol use/misuse, or extreme poverty can offer diversion to the Initiative instead of arrest. The hallmark of the program is case management that offers client centered, strength-based support utilizing a harm reduction approach.
The PAD Care Navigator II is responsible for responding to diversion referrals, completing intake assessments, and provide on-going comprehensive case management services. The Care Navigator II maintains an individual caseload, providing services which include: assisting with immediate needs, developing a person-centered care plan, identifying and linking participants to appropriate community based community resources. The Care Navigator II is also responsible for supporting participant legal advocacy in partnership with Atlanta and Fulton County criminal justice agencies.
- Provide on-call diversion referral services to Atlanta Police Department officers during diversion hours;
- Provide and/or assist with orientation for PAD participants and ongoing case management;
- Work with the Care Navigation team to increase participant’s awareness of available resources, assist them in accessing these services, and advocate on participant’s behalf when necessary;
- Provide legal advocacy for PAD participants as needed;
- Maintain all participant charts and records according to established standards and document case progression within the electronic data management system (HMIS/Client Track);
- Ensure data necessary for evaluation and reporting outcomes is updated routinely;
- Meet weekly with Care Navigation Manager to identify challenges and develop solutions on core issues;
- Conduct exposure outreach with law enforcement officials and prospective participants in the diversion referral zone;
- Work to increase and ensure cultural competency (including racial, cultural, gender identity and sexual orientation) within the community;
- Participate in on-going trainings, meetings, and forums that support the principles of PAD;
- Maintain confidentiality and respect for PAD participants or potential participants related to all personal information, including but not limited to physical and mental health status, gender identity, drug usage, conviction or arrest history, and immigrant status;
- Commit to ongoing personal, professional, and team leadership development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, or Counseling AND 2+ years of experience in providing case management services; OR Master’s degree in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, or Counseling AND at least one year of experience in providing case management services;
- Valid GA Driver’s License;
- Experience working with people who are experiencing homelessness, substance addiction, severe and persistent mental illness, and/or extreme poverty, preferably in the Metro Atlanta area;
- Experience working with formerly incarcerated people, trans people, and LGBQ people to navigate care systems, a plus;
- Understanding of and commitment to the harm reduction philosophy and a non-judgmental approach to people’s wellness;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to be flexible, remain calm under pressure, and diplomatic in tense situations;
- Proficient computer skills utilizing database and office suite software.
The Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, qualified handicap or disabled status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
To apply, submit the following application documents:
- A cover letter describing your relevant experience and why you are interested in PAD
- A resume
- Contact information for two references
Email application documents in PDF format to email@example.com with “PAD Care Navigator” and your name in the subject field by Thursday, May 9th, 2019.